Thursday, March 10, 2005

Hebrew. The language of .... erm ... Hebrew speakers ...

I worked (not in a particularly productive way) today.

I should be in Jordan; there's a bit of a situation with my visa and I'm technically illegal here at present. But I dread leaving Israel. I never liked leaving Israel from the first time I came here, but it's worse when you're relying very heavily on the border security allowing you back into the country at all, and your entire life is based around that country for the next few weeks...

In a few hours from now, Jordan's exactly where I'll be.

So I went out to drown my sorrows, a little too late to catch Mike's in Jerusalem but in plenty of time for the Blue Hole. Where there was a discussion with the barmaid whose name I never caught, but she remembers mine and is always good company. I'm trying to learn Hebrew in between the waves of all-night coding and occasionally getting around to do the job I'm officially doing, but it doesn't work out too well - most of the people I've met across Israel speak English, it's a bit like being in the Netherlands in that respect. If everyone just spoke Hebrew I'd have had to learn enough to get by, but as things stand it's become a luxury item; it's not critical to my social or working life, and other things take precedence.

But there we are, and I'm trying to read a Paddy's Day promotion from Jameson, only part of which (the headline) is in English. The rest is in capitalized Hebrew, which I can read the way a bright 3-year-old can read. I still have less than a flying hope when it comes to cursive script... Anyways the girl with no name was laughing with me over my attempts, saying that she'd had similar problems when she made aliyah. Especially when she began working in bars.

The punchline:

'How would YOU write 'Southern Comfort' in Hebrew?'

a. 'sotern comfrt'?
b. 'sotorn comfrt'?
c. 'sozrn comfrt'?

A clue: if you chose 'c' you probably messed up.

No comments: