Monday, March 21, 2005

Bravado in the Mid-Counties

So I'm home, and it's as though I never went away - certainly nobody seems to have noticed I left at all.

Tonight there was a bully in the house, who - once he had a few beers behind him - made a big point of telling me that nobody he knows likes me.

I turned to the next person to me (who doesn't know me well) and said loudly, 'Hey, that's just one more reason not to want to be here.'

Bad move.

She assumed that I meant I didn't like being home because nobody likes me here. Whereas what I was trying to say was more along the lines of, I can't think of another place on this planet where playground bullying is tolerated in adult spaces...

It didn't cheer me a great deal when Dave (the landlord) came back into the room, heard what had occurred during his absence, and tried to fix things by asserting that he likes me. That was not the issue, Dave...

I'm homesick for Israel already.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who... what where when why ????

You know who are those who are always glad to see you :)

steph said...

And maybe you don't realise it, but I'd been back in England more than 2 months before I bumped into you and Jules :)

Miss you, big guy. Hope Egg are all they're cracked up to be.

Anonymous said...

Just an addition - you are welcome to come up and see us in the doorway to the Peak District anytime. Much good beer to be had - even a pub that has guest ciders :)

We feel the same way about the "Home Counties" as you do - time to return to the Shires :)

P,S too many red wines perhaps but as we have said before, you're one of the people we will miss moving away.

BTW Jules tyop'ed me , hence the excellent english of this reply... ish.